Slide 1 Slide 2 Slide 3 Slide 4 Slide 5 Slide 6 Slide 7
Example Frame

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Technik Der Woche #1

Shots like this aren't as hard to come by as one might think, its more a problem of location and timing.

In this first technique of the week, were going to look at how I got a shot like this.

The first issue was with location, for me it wasn't really a problem as I spend an exorbitant amount of time in Duluth Minnesota, which has amazing locals for seascapes.

The second issue was like I said time, which is probably the most important if you get the timing wrong your images won't come out. I recommend spending time between 8pm and 9pm at the location your are shooting and take several shots through out the time period.

I shot this photo using my Olympus PEN, at a moderate shutter speed of 1/30sec and an aperture of F16 which maximizes depth of field in the image, keeping everything in focus.

Processing brought out a lot of detail in the photo by using layer masks to enhance separate parts of the scene, and bust real world contrast. One could use HDR, and I have in the past, however it doesn't offer as much control.

8 comments:

  1. This is a great shot, Tobias.
    I really like the tones and colors. Nice processing.
    The smaller rocks along the shoreline look like lava rocks. Any background on that particular area that you are aware of? There are two distinctively different rock types there. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Lake Superior in Duluth Minnesota, no one really knows what happened to form the lake but some think that a meteor broke up and formed the great lakes, and then glaciers carved them deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice soft tones of dawn or dusk.

    First time to your photo blog. Will subscribe to your RSS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The meteor story is true, according to a science show I saw on the Discovery Channel. Pretty interesting. Of all the Great Lakes I've only been on Ontario, off of Rochester New York.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Max, I appreciate the comment, its dusk, I recommend dawn in Duluth for great shots of sun rise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Superior is the larges and deepest, it also has the most dogma surrounding it. There are a lot of ghost stories surrounding the lake, I have grown to love the lake more for its beauty, and family than anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your welcome Amber, glad you like the first post of the series.

    ReplyDelete